The American Design Club’s design for self defence exhibition- THREAT
A somewhat satirical, but equally valuable and beautiful exhibit of the best of self-respecting’ self defence is (appropriately?) running in Brooklyn, NY this month.
The additions, which came from 54 of the most exciting young designers, all mix an exquisite touch of design with a fistful of contemporary bite to fend off would be intruders.
1. Protection Chair by MeetSebastian - liberate any would-be defenceless kitchen chair with an etched slot for your Glock 17 to sit snuggly in just waiting to wreak havoc
2. Bat Rack by The Principals - doubling as a stylish coat hanger, the Bat Rack can be quickly turned on an aggressor. You even get to practise your swing with a satisfying installation method (points to anyone who knows the song in the video, I’m addicted)
3. One Shot Necklace by KNS Design Collective - A stylish and provocative way to stop the bullet heading your way from piercing your chest and burying itself in your heart
4. Last Stand table by EvanDublin - ever been sat at your dining table, drinking tea when a masked hudlum enters your home and your only means of defence is the solid oak of the table you’re sat at but you can’t pick it up to swing at them ‘cos your precious tea set is sat atop? Well now you can detach one leg, take aim and rest assured that your mums china will remain unscathed on the still-standing table
5. Take What You Want bag by Object Trust - For those passive members of society or for situations where none of the above suffice (confronted by The Baseball Fury gang) you can put your head in this bag, confess your submission, and be whisked off to the virtual serenity of the beach scene printed on the inner. You never know, the gang might have a sense of style and only steal the bag from your head…
For the rare situations where you’re under threat of attack, or for the more common situation where your sense of style and design know-how are under threat, these should be the self defence arsenal your arm yourself with.
See the whole collection here
Namaste! Olly x